Monday, December 17, 2007

Elder Ballard on Bloggin'

Sometimes I wonder about doing this blog and its obvious LDS positioning that I lay out. I don't like things to be contentious, but I do like different schools of thought to way out the different sides of an issue. (I feel that I can be pretty open because I don't have to worry about some future employer googling me and not hiring me because of my personal opinions, thus I don't use an alias). Along those lines Elder Ballard has recently encouraged LDS people to "use the Internet — including blogs and other forms of “new media” — to contribute to a national conversation about The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints."

Furthermore,"He said [people] should consider sharing their views on blogs." (emphasis mine)...we cannot stand on the sidelines while others, including our critics, attempt to define what the Church teaches...Talk honestly and sincerely about the impact the gospel has had in your life, how has it helped you overcome weaknesses or challenges, and helped define your values.

Full transcript available here and a newsroom press release.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Those are good points you bring up, and I think faithful members of the church should do better at letting our voice be heard (respectfully). Unfortunately I find that there are many more negative blogs criticizing the church than there are positive ones clarifying misconceptions and defending the church.

Marisa said...

Wow, that is pretty awesome that Elder Ballard is promoting the bloggernacle. It really bugs me when people say the brethren are so out of touch with today's world. This is a good example that they aren't.

Lisa said...

I agree. That's neat that Elder Ballard said that. I know I sometimes shy away from talking about religion, not because I'm ashamed, but just worried what others will think of me. Religion is a part of many peoples lives, not just LDS people, and we shouldn't be worried about what others might think of us. It's like when people ask what you did over the weekend and you recount everything you did Friday and Saturday...it's important to include Sunday (attended church) and even to bring up what was taught and discussed. I'm going to try and incorporate that into my blog and everyday conversations.

the narrator said...

makes sense. elder ballard is a frequent commenter on my blog.

Carson Calderwood said...

That was hilarious

Zappe Family said...

I have to agree with everyone here. I have a great friend from HS who is Christiam and I've always admired her for "wearing her faith on her sleeve." She still shares with me all her faith promoting experiences and says "Jesus loves you and such." Needless to say, I decided to be more open with her recently, because I know she doesn't believe LDS are Christian. Thanks for reminding me that I do need to be more open on my blog and share our "day to day miracles."